I have been working as a live sound engineer on a freelance basis since November 2004, gaining over 7 years professional experience as a monitor/FOH mixer and system engineer. In this time, I have gained valuable national and international touring experience in a wide variety of small to large venues for a diverse range of event types. I am a member of BECTU and hold public liability insurance.
A brief selection of projects that I've worked on recently follow:
- Boy George / Culture Club / Kim Wilde / Howard Jones 2010 - PresentI am the current regular monitor mixer for these artists, incorporating tours and one-offs.
- Dappy Tour [Capital Sound] FOH System Tech December 2012I was Martin W8LC line array tech for a selection of shows on Dappy’s UK tour.
- Pixie Lott Monitor Engineer December 2011Mixed monitors for Pixie Lott for her December 2011 radio arena tour.
- Jason Derulo @ MTV EMAs [Cato] Monitor Engineer November 2011Mixed in-ear monitors for Jason Derulo at his MTV EMA performance in Belfast.
- Cannizaro Park Festival [Cannizaro Events] Sound Engineer July 2007/2008/2010With acts ranging from opera to orchestras to rock bands, I was in charge of mixing FOH or monitors as required and looking after guest engineers over the 3 week run.
- The Original Wailers FOH Engineer May 2009 - January 2010Working for the band on a worldwide tour, I was in charge of FOH sound in venues ranging from small clubs to arenas and large festivals.
- Glastonbury Festival [South West Audio] Audio Patch June 2009/2010I was responsible for patch on the 'BBC Introducing' stage, including liaison between FOH, Monitors and the BBC OB truck.
- Department Of Health Event [Thames Audio] Sound Engineer 2008-2012At these regular meetings by government officials, I am in charge of mixing sound for the house, as well as distribution to ISDN link, VT, webcast and archive recording.
- Technical Earth Trainee Technical Engineer June 2003 - August 2004As a trainee, I was involved with tasks such as studio installation, Pro Tools system building, service, technical support and wiring.
- Guildford Civic Centre Sound Engineer January 2002 - June 2003I worked at this venue as a casual in-house sound engineer, while covering lighting, follow spots and local crew work at larger shows until it was closed down for redevelopment.
- USSU Stage Crew Sound Engineer September 2001 - July 2005As a volunteer, I worked on a regular basis for the University of Surrey Students´ Union while studying for my degree, running shows as FOH/monitor engineer or covering other production roles as required.
- Experience in operating, configuring and setting-up a diverse range of complex professional sound reinforcement equipment, including most modern digital consoles, DSP and line arrays, with the ability to rapidly adapt when faced with unknown hardware.
- Understanding and practice of the different approaches required for events ranging from lectures, theatre and comedy through to bands, orchestral, corporate parties and festivals.
- Practical expertise of dual-FFT based audio analysis equipment, specifically Smaart.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of radio technology and co-ordination.
- Logical understanding of signal flow and using test equipment for rapid faultfinding.
- A good knowledge base of audio theory ranging from acoustics and electroacoustics to audio engineering and electronics.
- Several years experience multi-track recording using both analogue and digital recording systems, including large-scale in-line consoles and 2" tape.
- Experience making straight to stereo recordings in studio and location settings using co-incident pair, spaced pair, spot and hybrid microphone techniques.
- A broad practical understanding of existing computer-based audio and MIDI sequencing packages, particularly ProTools and Logic Pro, in addition to standalone digital recorders.
- I have an easy-going, friendly, approachable and helpful nature, whilst maintaining a meticulous and professional attitude at all times.
- Clean driving license with category C and B entitlement held for 12 years with experience driving vehicles rated up to 7.5t, as well as small and large vans.
- Considerable IT knowledge of wired/wireless networking, audio hardware control software, array prediction as well as commercial office software and web programming.
- Experienced wireman with knowledge of most modern single and multi-pin connectors.
- Hold a valid UK passport and available for travel.
- Graduate with 2:1 classification from the BMus (Hons) Music and Sound Recording (Tonmeister) course of the University of Surrey.
- Associateship of the University of Surrey with Distinction.
- Certified Midas Digital System Engineer (December 2009).
- Attended Meyer Sound 'SIM3 Training and System Design' Seminar (December 2008).
- 3 A's at 'A' level and 1 A at 'AS' level in Further Maths.
- 9 A-C's at GCSE level, including 2 A*'s and 5 A's.
- LVCM (Hons) Electronic Organ performance and merit in Grade 6 music theory.
I enjoy listening to many kinds of music in my spare time, as well as going to gigs, playing the bass guitar and also keyboards. My time on the road has inspired an interest in both photography and cookery, and I also like to swim when I can.